Living in your home during water damage
Any time you experience water damage in your home it can be distressing. Coming home to or waking up and discovering water damage can throw off your entire day. Once the damage is discovered, you begin the process of making phone calls and going through the steps to repair the damage. Often times when water damage occurs the customer has to live in their home throughout the process. In severe cases they may find other temporary arrangements. When we come into your home during your frustrating time, it is our goal to make sure that the process of getting your home back in order is as stress free as possible. We will come in a set up our drying equipment in the affected areas and perform any necessary demolition to wet materials. We always strive to have the home dry and have equipment removed within 4 days. At that point the customer can choose to complete the necessary repairs. In the case that you ever experience water damage, rest assured that we can take of you! Call our office at 859-225-3193.
4th of July
With the fourth of July right around the corner, we want to remind you of these fireworks safety tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety. We hope you have a great, safe, fourth of July!
Recommended Safety Tips
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
And let’s not forget the safety of our pets!
- Don’t bring your pets to a fireworks display, even a small one.
- If fireworks are being used near your home, put your pet in a safe, interior room to avoid exposure to the sound.
- Make sure your pet has an identification tag, in case it runs off during a fireworks display.
- Never shoot fireworks of any kind (consumer fireworks, sparklers, fountains, etc.) near pets.
There is always potential for flood damage no matter where you live. According to the American Red Cross floods cause more damage in the United States every year than any other weather-related disaster. The American Red Cross offers these flood safety tips:
-Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
-If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are riding rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
-Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
If a flood occurs and affects you, call SERVPRO of Lexington. Even minor floods have potential to cause major damage. We are faster to ANY size disaster. Let us help you get your life back in order.
Here are some things to consider from the American Lung Association about air quality in your home:
- Is anyone smoking indoors? No one should smoke indoors.
- Can you see or smell mold or mildew?
- Is the humidity regularly above 50 percent?
- Are there leaks or standing water anywhere—kitchen, basement, attic?
- Are all fuel-burning appliances (gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces) fully vented to the outdoors?
- Is there an attached garage or basement where cars, lawnmowers or motorcycles are stored?
- Are household chemicals, paints or solvents stored indoors or in an attached garage or basement?
- Have you recently remodeled or added new furniture, carpeting or painted?
- Do you use odor-masking chemicals or "air-freshening" devices?
- Has kitchen or food garbage been covered and removed?
- Have you used pesticides recently?
If you have an ongoing air quality issue, call SERVPRO of Lexington for further consultation. We have a staff of professionals, certified in all aspects of deodorization and microbial remediation.
Fire at nearby theater.
Last year, our SERVPRO team got the phone call that a theater in a nearby city caught fire. Our SERVPRO team responded immediately and drove to the theater in Kentucky. Our SERVPRO team members are trained in first responding and disaster recovery. They knew just how to get the job done!
The accidental fire began when a construction worker was using a handheld tool on the roof and the tool created a spark. Fortunately, the fire was contained to the roof. Most of the building’s damage was caused by smoke and water damage from the sprinklers attempting to put out the fire. The lobby, dressing rooms, office, restrooms, and many other areas of the building were affected.
There is a lot of work that still needs to be done but fortunately we have the right team for the job. Our SERVPRO team is working extremely hard to make it look like, “it never even happened”.
Abe and Jeff's Presentation
Jeff & Abe
Last week, our Franchise Owner, Jeff Smith, and our Commercial Marketing Representative, Abe Mitchell, gave a presentation at a commercial property. Abe ran a large job at the commercial property a few months prior. Our SERVPRO team did such a good job that Jeff and Abe were both asked to speak about the process that SERVPRO takes when executing a water job. The commercial property showed incredible appreciation to SERVPRO as a company, and Abe himself.
In the presentation, they spoke about ERPs, causes of water loss, and touched on previous SERVPRO projects. The audience included members of the academic community and property managers in Lexington.
This presentation is one of the reasons SERVPRO is so special as a company. Not only was SERVPRO incredibly honored to speak at this event, but it was a terrific opportunity to tell a lot of people about the various jobs SERVPRO can do, and the importance of SERVPRO to the local community. The guys were beyond excited to speak and spread the work at a company that they are so proud to be a part of!
Mudslides and Flood Damage in Virginia
Last year, our SERVPRO Storm Team went to Roanoke, Virginia to help people impacted by the flood damage. The flood has caused extensive water damage to a large area in Virginia. The flood is also affecting Maryland and North Carolina as well.
Floods are among the Earth's most common natural disasters. Thunder storms can escalate into a flood. This happens when rivers, lakes or streams overflow. It surges into a floodplain after racing across to adjacent land. Floods take hours and sometimes days to develop. This usually gives residents enough time to evacuate.
In this case, some of the results of the floods are mudslides. Mudslides can fall down their steep pathways and do some serious damage. Since the heavy rains began last week, there have been reports of mudslides running down into highways. This can be extremely dangerous.
The impact of this flood can be extremely severe, so please take caution if in the area.
The Benefits of Cleaning your HVAC/ Ducts
Your HVAC unit has to do with cooling and heating your home. Maintenance for your HVAC system is essential if you want your unit to run correctly for a substantial amount of time. Cleaning your HVAC system also entails duct maintenance as well.
Cleaning the ducts and vents means that they will be cleaning separate elements in the HVAC unit. It is important to clean multiple areas in the unit because it is unknown what lurks in your ducts. So, when turning on the air conditioning unit, those who have allergies may react from the dust, dander, or mold in the unit.
There are many advantages of cleaning your ducts/ HVAC unit. One benefit is having a more efficient system which will result in lower utility bills. Another benefit is having a healthier living environment. Keeping up with the system will also keep up the longevity of the unit, just like a “tune up” with a vehicle would improve its life span.
Your local SERVPRO franchise is offering a HVAC/duct cleaning special. The special is for $450 per unit. If interested in the benefits of keeping up with your HVAC unit, contact your local franchise today.
Summer's Natural Disasters
Every summer, the U.S. goes through an “active weather” season. The middle of spring through summer is a prime time for hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, thunder storms, and fires. Here at SERVPRO, we’ve already begun to see the impact of the severe weather. In Kentucky, we have already experienced a massive amount of rain. Luckily, our SERVPRO team is here for any natural disaster. We respond to water, wind and fire damage! Here are some weather events to look out for during the spring and summer months:
- Hurricanes–Hurricanes, with the accompanying wind, water, and flood, cause a lot of destruction in areas where they hit. When hurricanes gather strength, buildings, trees, and water infrastructures are commonly destroyed. The storms can also knock down power lines, posing a risk of electrocution.
- Tornadoes– Tornadoes are characterized by whirling winds and debris and can endanger life and property. They are common from spring until the middle of summer but can occur any time of the year.
- Floods– Floods are becoming more common in the U.S., with flash floods as the top weather-related killer. A few inches of water could bring extensive damage to homes and buildings. Heavy rains, levee breaches, and tsunamis cause floods. Many floods occur in areas that cannot absorb rainwater.
- Fires– The heat of the summer and the years of drought experienced in many parts of the country can precipitate massive forest fires that, in many instances, affect dwellings. Spontaneous combustion, volcanic eruption, and faulty electrical wires are other common causes of fires.
Call SERVPRO if you are ever in need after a natural disaster!
Commercial Carpet Cleaning
Our SERVPRO team has other specialties other than just mitigation and restoration. Our team also specializes in cleaning. We can clean pretty much anything. And one thing our team likes to clean is carpets for your commercial businesses!
A dirty carpet isn’t something any business wants to have. It looks unprofessional and unkept. Luckily, our SERVPRO team will come in and clean your carpet. The minimum our team will charge is $109 for 500 square feet.
We take every job seriously and commercial carpet cleaning is one of them! We offer a variety of different carpet cleaning methods.
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning: When color-fastness is an issue.
Call your local franchise to schedule a carpet cleaning for your business today.