Archived Blog Posts
Have a fun and safe Halloween!
Halloween is for costumes, candy and fun! No one wants their fun to be spoiled by a fire! SERVPRO wants everyone to have a fun and safe time this Halloween! We have a list of safety tips below provided by the National Fire Prevention Association.
- Candles - Refrain from having an open flame. Use battery-operated candles or glow-sticks in your jack-o-lanterns.
- Costumes - Choose the right costume. Stay away from long or flowing fabric, and skip extraneous costume pieces.
- Decorations - Avoid flammable decorations including dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper that are highly flammable. Keep decorations away from open flames and other heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- Exits - Remember to keep all decorations away from doors so that they are not blocking any exits or escape routes.
- Smoke alarms - Make sure all your smoke alarms are working and up to date.
- Visibility - Provide flashlights to children or have them carry glow sticks as part of their costumes. Make sure if a child is wearing a mask that the eye holes are large enough to see out of them.
SERVPRO wishes everyone a fun and safe Halloween!
SERVPRO goes to the Fire Prevention Festival
This past weekend, SERVPRO visited the Fire Prevention Festival at Masterson Station Park. The Fire Prevention Festival takes place every year and is very popular for parents and children. The Fire Prevention Festival has a bouncy house, lots of candy, fire trucks, police helicopters, and more! There is music playing as parents and children walk around and learn about fire safety.
When families are walking around the festival, they can enjoy the music from the D.J. booth that Parks and Recreation provides. Along with the companies that attend the festival to support the local fire department, there are local food trucks as well. While children are enjoying face painting and bicycle races, the parents can enjoy barbecue!
There are tons of fire fighters that bring their trucks for tours and are open to any questions our local patrons could ask. The Fire Prevention Festival is a great example of fire safety bringing the community closer together!
SERVPRO answers to aftermath of Hurricane Florence
This picture was captured entering the flooded area
A little less than two weeks ago, Hurricane Florence impacted the entire eastern side of the United States. The area of the U.S. that was hit the hardest was North Carolina. The winds reached up to 140 miles per hour, resulting in the storm being catastrophic to the eastern coast. The category four hurricane dropped almost 40 inches of rain, caused billions of dollars in damage, and several fatalities.
As soon as the roads were clear, our SERVPRO team headed down to the coast of North Carolina to help in any way that they could. Our team responded to mostly commercial properties in Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Havelock, Swansboro, and many other areas on the coast of North Carolina.
Our SERVPRO team is just one of many in North Carolina trying to help with the aftermath of the storms. Our team has been in the area for almost two weeks and may be down there much longer with the destruction caused by Hurricane Florence.
We traveled to Baton Rouge to Restore Homes... We Ended up Restoring Lives
SERVPRO of Lexington traveled to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to help the many people that were devastated and misplaced from their homes by the historic flooding. When the record breaking flooding occurred we promptly dispatched our SERVPRO of Lexington teams to assist in the unprecedented recovery efforts. We were happy to help many grateful business and home owners during their time of need. Our highly trained technicians are water and storm damage specialists. The goal is always the same, to return your commercial or residential property back to pre-storm condition. Using scientific drying techniques and advanced equipment, we document the drying process to insure the business or home is ready to return to. When water damage happens, a quick response is very important. Night or day, Lexington business owners and residents can expect our local team of professionals to respond immediately to your water emergency. Click this link to view our 1 minute and 34 second video of the devastation in Baton Rouge and our teams effort to help. https://www.dropbox.com/s/llwoq9jvts5ta54/SERVPRO%20Lexington.mp4?dl=0
Did you know that SERVPRO also cleans up sewage backups?
Sewer backups should be considered an emergency since the water may contain viruses, bacteria, and other microbes that cause serious illnesses. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have specialized training and equipment to quickly and safely clean contaminants like sewage.
Water damage can be classified by the three types of contaminated water. SERVPRO technicians will inspect your home or business to determine the appropriate plan of action for the type of water encountered.
The three types of contaminated water:
Category 1: "Clean Water"
Category 1 water is from a clean source like a broken water supply line or leaking faucet. If not treated quickly, this water can turn into category 2 or 3, depending on length of time, temperature, and contact with surrounding contaminants.
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: "Gray Water"
Category 2 water is contaminated and could cause discomfort or illness. Examples include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated
Category 3: "Black Water"
Category 3 water is grossly contaminated and could cause severe illness or death if ingested and any contact should be avoided. Examples include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
24 Hour Emergency Service
Water contaminated with sewage backup should be considered an emergency situation and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our specialists are always here with specialized training, equipment and protective gear to safely restore your home or business.
Toilet Overflow or Sewer Backup?
Call our office today 859-225-3193.
SERVPRO of Lexington, KY is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops the Standards for the Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
Fire at Warehouse
SERVPRO tackled the aftermath of a fire in a Louisville warehouse. Our local SERVPRO team traveled to help clean and repair the aftermath of a large fire. This fire left water damage along with soot everywhere inside the building. In this instance, the warehouse was heavily stocked with supplies. The SERVPRO team brought in a crew strictly for inventory management. There are many things that the SERVPRO team does well when it comes to the restoration business. One of the many things our team members try to take care of is the items that were in the property when disaster occurs. Our team logs every item they feel that can be saved.
One of the things that SERVPRO really focused on in this warehouse was the cleaning. Soot coated the ceilings in the warehouse. In this picture, we are seen cleaning all of the soot from the ceilings. Fortunately, the warehouse was able to stay open for hours of operation after the fire.
When sump pumps fail at a local university
Last week SERVPRO got a phone call that two sump pumps had failed at a local university. It was in the basement of the building. When the sump pumps failed, the bathroom flooded with water. Shortly after, the elevator shaft was full of water. There was also water that had leaked into multiple rooms of the large university building's basement.
Fortunately, our SERVPRO team was there to save the say. Unfortunately, the damage was done. Water had been standing in several rooms and seeped into the walls long enough to make a severe impact. It only takes mold 48 to 72 hours to begin growth. By the time our SERVPRO team members arrived and could get to the inside of the walls, mold began to grow. Our team members cut all of the wall space out that was affected. They spent multiple days drying the area out. Even though the area had already been affected, it is SERVPRO's job to make it "Like it never even happened."
Natural Disasters and Mold
When Hurricane Harvey hit, our SERVPRO team responded immediately. Our team heard the news of the hurricane and prepared for the worst. With in a few days, our team was on the way to Houston. Most of our team focused on the rebuilding and restoration of residential and commercial businesses. There was so much flooding and water damage in the area, it was difficult to asses what the harm would be from the water damage.
When severe water damage comes into play, mold is likely to surface shortly afterward. Mold can begin to grow 48 to 72 hours after the water hits the exposed area. In the case of Hurricane Harvey, the area in question had the perfect growing environment for mold. This picture was the result of a ton of water on the area affected and massive mold growth. SERVPRO not only helped with the destruction and devastation in Houston, but they stuck around for the aftermath of the aftermath.
Mold in Insulation
About a year ago, a terrible natural disaster hit Houston, Texas. Our SERVPRO team responded and headed down south. After our team responded to calls of storm and water damage, they addressed evidence of mold in multiple locations. Initially, one thinks that a hurricane is going to cause destruction due to heavy winds, rains and flooding. However, the average customer doesn't even think about the mold until the rain water and flooding has done it's damage. Our SERVPRO team responded to several jobs with mold issues after the long hours they put into storm repair.
By this time, our team had been out of state for almost three weeks helping with the aftermath of Harvey. They were going to stay longer if it meant addressing more issues such as mold.
This picture shows water damage in a customer's ceiling, which has insulation. Since insulation has to be removed for the drying process, the SERVPRO team could take the steps needed to address the mold issue. No job is too big or too small for SERVPRO.
Customer Appreciation Party at Keeneland
In about a month, there will be an event in Lexington, Kentucky that is a staple to our local community. Keeneland happens every year in April and in October for four weeks. People travel to Lexington just to attend this special occasion. SERVPRO of Lexington has made it a habit to attend as well. We set up a spot and honor our customers.
This event is a customer appreciation party we hold twice a year on the Keeneland tailgate grounds. The event offers free admission into Keeneland, free food, drinks, and lots of door prizes. SERVPRO of Lexington values our relationships with all of the customers and companies we serve. This is our time to show our token of appreciation.
This upcoming meet will be the fall meet in October. We will be there to say "thank you" to everyone that let us help them. So, please come join us this fall at Keeneland!
The SERVPRO team traveled to Houston!
This time last year, from August 25th through September 2nd, a part of the United States went through an awful natural disaster. Hurricane Harvey hit a portion of southern Texas and some of Louisiana as well. With all that damage done, the SERVPRO team packed their bags and headed south to help those in need. Our guys traveled to Houston, the most populated city in the area affected.
Hurricane Harvey was the first major hurricane to hit the United States since 2005. The hurricane turned tropical storm caused extensive flooding among the affected region. The natural disaster has resulted in severe tragedy. Over 300,000 people were left without electricity, there are billions of dollars in property damage and there have been several fatalities reported.
There were several SERVPRO teams around the United States that traveled to Houston to help to best they could. SERVPRO is always there to help at a time of need.
Mold in your home
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Lexington for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Lexington specializes in mold cleanup and restoration. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely. If you are in need of mold remediation please call our office at (859)225-3193.
SERVPRO helped Houston heal
Houston took quite a long time to heal after Hurricane Harvey tore through Texas. Our SERVPRO team stayed in Houston and surrounding cities helping them rebuild. One of our SERVPRO teammates took this picture of the flooding on a highway two weeks after the hurricane hit. It took a very long time for water to evaporate in Houston. It was reported that Houston received 51 inches of rain. That amount of water would be disastrous to any place in the world. It took a lot of recovery time for Houston and surrounding counties in Texas.
Our SERVPRO team was in Texas for over two weeks. This truly shows the dedication of our employees. They have been mainly focusing on residential jobs but some commercial businesses as well. There were an incredible amount of people affected by this terrible storm and SERVPRO tried to do everything they possibly could to help out.
Water damage to homes in Houston
Last year, our SERVPRO team was in Texas for over two weeks. The aftermath of Hurricane Harvey left many people homeless. This picture shows just how bad the water damage to homes were in Houston. The water level reached an unimaginable height for the citizens of Texas from the storms and the floods. Water damage is serious when it comes to buildings of any kind. There are different levels of severity when it comes to the categories of water that have affected your home. There are different categories of the polluted water. In these pictures, the water damage is so severe all the insulation has been pulled out of the walls to dry the homes out. Pulling out the insulation encourages ventilation and it may hide damage that isn't visible in other parts of the building. In these homes, there is a lot of work that needs to be done. That's what SERVPRO does best!
SERVPRO tackles local fire
Just two days ago, a local family suffered a terrible fire. Luckily, the fire was only contained to the second story. However, there is still a lot of damage to the house. Our SERVPRO team believes the fire began because of electrical problems. Electrical fires are responsible for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,4000 injuries and around 1.3 billion dollars in damages. Electrical distribution systems are the third leading cause of home structural fires. In this case, this family got very lucky.
Our SERVPRO team goes out and assesses the damage after the firemen have left. They walk through the house and take tons of pictures for our records. SERVPRO then removes all items in the damage area. Any items that they can save, they do. Then, they do repairs for all damaged areas. The SERVPRO team only has the most qualified technicians to help get the job done.
The aftermath of fire damage
Unfortunately, the end of summer in Kentucky welcomed some local fires. Due to the abundance of fires in our area, the SERVPRO team has been called to address some of the aftermath. This job is just one of many that the SERVPRO team has been called to assess the damages and help get the job done. The SERVPRO team wants to come into a residential home or business and make it look like, "it never even happened" by the time a job is completed. In this case, the fire attacked most of the family home.
After the SERVPRO team arrives to a job and evaluates the amount of harm done to the building, they start working promptly to prevent the situation from worsening. Immediately, after a fire, soot residue settles onto the furniture and the entire area of the property. If not treated in a prompt manner, acidic soot may appear. If there are areas in the house that have wood, it may require refinishing after a fire. This is why SERVPRO is always faster to any disaster!
Upcoming Event at Keeneland
Hello SERVPRO friends and customers! In a few months, a Lexington, Kentucky event takes place and you are welcome to come celebrate with us! Every year the Keeneland race track opens up for the public for four weeks in the months of April and October. This upcoming event will happen in October, taking place during the fall meet. The fall is such a beautiful time to be outside at Keeneland in Kentucky!
SERVPRO looks forward to hosting this event every year to honor our customers. We like to show our gratitude and appreciation to everyone who has or might someday use SERVPRO's services.
This event will offer food, drinks, fun and more! We set up a tent on "the hill" tailgating area next to Keene Barn.
Please come visit us at Keenland this fall! We are so excited to see lots of our customers' and friends' friendly faces! Thanks for choosing SERVPRO!
Sprinkler Mishap at Local University
SERVPRO dryers and air-movers brought in to get the job done!
In early summer, a sprinkler burst in a building on one of our local campuses. SERVPRO was more than happy to help our local university. There was standing water in the floor of the building when SERVPRO arrived on the scene. The sprinkler had dispensed water on the floors and the ceilings. When water damage is concerned, it is important to act relatively quick to ensure that the damage is contained. If the situation gets much worse, it can advance to more than just water damage.
Typically, if the water is extracted, properly dried out and restored, the area affected should be alright. The area needs to be dried out within 48 hours. However, 24 hours is ideal. It takes mold 24 to 48 hours to begin growing in the ideal conditions. Sometimes, if not dried properly, mold will start growing but not visible just yet. When the water eventually dries, it will begin to show spots on the walls.
Luckily, in this case at our local university, SERVPRO acted quickly. SERVPRO knows the risks of water damage worsening and are always on the scene as soon as possible. The water was dried and the job done efficiently. SERVPRO is always happy to help.
Fire Prevention Week
This year, Fire Prevention Week in the United States is from October 7th through October 13th. According to the National Archives and Records Administration’s Library Information Center, fire prevention week is on Record as the longest running public health observance.
The first National fire prevention week was October 4th through the 10th in 1925. This started a tradition of the President of the United States signing a proclamation of recognition for the annual occasion. The yearly event falls on the week of October 9th and runs Sunday through Saturday.
The week is in commemoration with the "Great Chicago Fire". The Great Chicago Fire took place on October 8th-9th 1871. This dreadful fire burned over 2,000 acres, destroyed over 17,400 structures, left 100,000 people homeless, and killed more than 250 people. Legend has it, the fire started after a cow kicked over a lamp.
To celebrate, Lexington, Kentucky has an annual "Fire Prevention and Wellness Festival". This year the festival will be held on October 1st at Masterson Station Park. SERVPRO will have a booth at the festival to promote fire safety. This is a free family event with health screenings, fire truck rides, fire demonstrations, food, bouncy houses, pony rides, games and more. Come visit SERVPRO's booth at the Fire Prevention and Wellness Festival.
Emergency Ready Profile
Do you own or operate a small business? You cannot always prevent disasters from happening, but you can always be prepared. Let SERVPRO of Lexington help you be prepared for unplanned disasters by creating an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP). By creating an Emergency Ready Profile with SERVPRO of Lexington you minimize interruptions in the daily operations of your business by having an immediate plan of action in place should disaster strike. The Emergency Ready Profile provides immediate contact information and other important details that provide a guide to get your business back up and running after a disaster. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business. Be ready and get a free Emergency Ready Profile with SERVPRO of Lexington, give our office a call at (859)225-3193 to set up an appointment.
What to do and what not to do in the case of water damage.
It is important to always be prepared in case of emergency. Here are some tips on how to handle a water damage in your own home.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
We are always here to help!
Faster to any Disaster
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Lexington provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Lexington arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 at (502)570-8444 or (859)537-5377.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Lexington
SERVPRO of Lexington specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Flooding in Southern WIsconsin
This time last year, our SERVPRO of Lexington team went to Southern Wisconsin to help with the aftermath of the strong storms and heavy rain. The areas most affected were Lake Geneva, Kenosha and Trevor. The southern region of the state was hit the hardest due to the lakes and water surrounding the area.
SERVPRO of Lexington is always here to help the local community but is also happy to travel to assist other parts of the United States. The goal of our SERVPRO team is to always make your damaged home or business look "Like it never even happened."
Not only is SERVPRO of Lexington happy to help, but our team is the best at what they do! Each team member is highly trained in storm and water damage clean up. We use specialized drying equipment and techniques to ensure premium results. We are always ready to help in a time of need!
Mold after a Busted Pipe
Have you ever gone on vacation to come return and find mold somewhere in your home? This happened to a local family not too long ago, and SERVPRO was there to help!
A pipe had busted behind the local family's fridge. First, there was water damage on the wall. Then, mold damage occurred later. The first plan of action was to remove the molded materials. Then we set up drying equipment to help dry the areas that were still wet.
Once mold is spotted, it is important to begin the removal process because mold can spread quickly. It tends to be found in damp, warm places, such as, our bathrooms or any type of plumbing area. Unfortunately, some people have a mold allergy which is another reason for a prompt removal.
Luckily, the family that found mold on their arrival home noticed it immediately and SERVPRO was quick to respond. We employ only highly trained professionals that are especially trained in this field.
Storm Repair in West Plains Missouri
Around this time last year, the town of West Plains, Missouri had a terrible storm. The heavy rain and severe storms caused the water to rise way higher than the average spring storm. The town of West Plains, Missouri is tucked away in the middle of the Ozark mountain range. So, they have experienced their fair share of weather damage.
This time around, SERVPRO of Lexington was called over to help a commercial business in West Plains. The store helped by our team was just one of many businesses in the area affected by the strong storm. The aftermath included knocked over vehicles and damaged property in the local area.
SERVPRO of Lexington was happy to travel to Missouri to help with the damage in the ceilings of the store and the large warehouse. Our team is specially trained for these exact circumstances we experienced and happy to travel anywhere to get the job done!
Fire at Local Home
In the beginning of summer, a local home caught fire. SERVPRO of Lexington arrived promptly to help get the restoration process started. SERVPRO is the first to arrive after the local firefighters leave. Fire damage is an overwhelming thought for a home owner. That's why SERVPRO is here to help with customers overwhelming instances.
It is important to remember all SERVPRO employees that deal with fire damage and restoration are highly trained in this area. The first thing a SERVPRO employee does when arriving to the scene is, do an estimate. Next, they check and see if any water damage took place from the fire fighters. Then, tear out damaged materials and clean the objects that can still be saved.
In any case of fire restoration, it is important to call professionals quickly. Unfortunately, what a fire leaves behind can continue to affect the damaged area. Effects from fire can include odors or discoloration. Therefore, it's important to call SERVPRO to get the job done!
The Mold after a Storm
A little while ago, SERVPRO of Lexington traveled to another city to repair some storm damage. While storm damage was the main priority, we also had some other issues to address in the area. Unfortunately, when there is storm and water damage, sometimes it causes mold to grow. This is what happened in this instance. Luckily, SERVPRO quickly tackled the part of the ceiling affected by mold. Before too long, our customer was able to get back to business.
A lot of the time, it can be confusing what exactly causes mold. One might question- Why would it arrive on your ceiling in the aftermath of a storm? Well, the most common causes of mold happen when water meets cold surfaces. Mold has tiny spores. These spores begin to reproduce and grow when landing on moist surfaces. Any moisture at all will help the growing process of mold.
However, it is nice to know, if you ever run into a "mold problem" call SERVPRO. We are happy to help!
Important Do's and Dont's for Clean Water Damage
- Stop the source of the water.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furnishings after removing any contents lying on the surface.
- Be aware of potential electrical hazards. Do not attempt to vacuum up water with standard vacuum equipment.
- Clearly designate wet areas with floor signs and safety tape.
- Pad or block wood furniture to prevent permanent staining of carpet.
- Carefully remove colored items from affected areas, especially those in contact with carpet and upholstery.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for even drying.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Do not attempt to use electrical devices exposed to moisture or use unexposed electrical devices while standing on wet floors- especially wet concrete.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans or light fixtures if ceiling is wet. Avoid standing beneath sagging ceilings.
Important Do's and Dont's for Fire and Smoke Damage
- Limit movement in the area to prevent further damage.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Clearly mark the area with caution signs and safety tape.
- If area is safe, list vital contents for emergency restoration/priority service.
- Be sure your staff wears proper personal protection equipment.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- Wash off both sides of leaves on indoor plants.
- Change HVAC filters and tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Do not attempt to wash walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Professional.
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first contacting your local SERVPRO Professional.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances, computers, television, radios, etc., that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first contacting an authorized repair service.
Reduce Business Interruption by Planning for it Now.
As many as 50% of businesses close following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them has a preparedness plan in place. Pre- planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
By developing a "SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile" for your business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it's a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, "Are you Ready for whatever happens?"
Kitchen Fire at Local Home
A few months ago our SERVPRO team responded to a fire at a local home. Luckily, the fire was contained to the proximity of the kitchen. When a fire takes place, the home is not just affected by the fire. There is also water damage from the sprinklers putting out the fire.
Our SERVPRO team goes in after the fire fighters have put out the fire and the damage has been done. Our team goes in and cleans all of the contents and gets rid of the smell caused by the smoke. The remnants of smoke is much harder to get rid of than imaginable. Our team works very hard by cleaning the walls, then painting them with an oil based paint. And lastly, adding a final coat.
After we repair the damages, we offer remodeling services as well. We are currently expanding in our remodeling and construction department. Our SERVPRO team likes to make sure the job is seen all the way to the end.
Professional Disaster Restoration
According to the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) there are a couple of reasons to choose a professional over doing it yourself. Below are a few reasons:
- The process of fire and water restoration is very involved when it is performed properly.
- With quick reaction time and the appropriate skill set, a technician can help to prevent further damage and repair that which has already been done
- The process and equipment used during fire and water restoration will vary from case to case, since different materials require their own unique care.
- For fire damage, general cleaning is done to remove ash and soot from ceiling to floor.
- The quick remediation of the problem is important for more than repairs, it is also a health consideration
- Choose a company for fire and water restoration with the appropriate licenses and proof that they have the proper insurance.
- Whether the work to be done is in a commercial or residential location, technicians with experience and certification should perform the damage recovery.
Fire at Nearby Theater
SERVPRO equipment on site
Exactly a week ago, our SERVPRO team got the phone call that a theater in a nearby city caught fire. Our SERVPRO team responded immediately and drove to the theater in Kentucky. Our SERVPRO team members are trained in first responding and disaster recovery. They knew just how to get the job done!
The accidental fire began when a construction worker was using a handheld tool on the roof and the tool created a spark. Fortunately, the fire was contained to the roof. Most of the building’s damage was caused by smoke and water damage from the sprinklers attempting to put out the fire. The lobby, dressing rooms, office, restrooms, and many other areas of the building were affected.
There is a lot of work that still needs to be done but fortunately we have the right team for the job. Our SERVPRO team is working extremely hard to make it look like, “it never even happened”.
4th of July
With the fourth of July right around the corner, we want to remind you of these fireworks safety tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety. We hope you have a great, safe, fourth of July!
Recommended Safety Tips
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
And let’s not forget the safety of our pets!
- Don’t bring your pets to a fireworks display, even a small one.
- If fireworks are being used near your home, put your pet in a safe, interior room to avoid exposure to the sound.
- Make sure your pet has an identification tag, in case it runs off during a fireworks display.
- Never shoot fireworks of any kind (consumer fireworks, sparklers, fountains, etc.) near pets.
There is always potential for flood damage no matter where you live. According to the American Red Cross floods cause more damage in the United States every year than any other weather-related disaster. The American Red Cross offers these flood safety tips:
-Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
-If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are riding rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
-Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
If a flood occurs and affects you, call SERVPRO of Lexington. Even minor floods have potential to cause major damage. We are faster to ANY size disaster. Let us help you get your life back in order.
Here are some things to consider from the American Lung Association about air quality in your home:
- Is anyone smoking indoors? No one should smoke indoors.
- Can you see or smell mold or mildew?
- Is the humidity regularly above 50 percent?
- Are there leaks or standing water anywhere—kitchen, basement, attic?
- Are all fuel-burning appliances (gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces) fully vented to the outdoors?
- Is there an attached garage or basement where cars, lawnmowers or motorcycles are stored?
- Are household chemicals, paints or solvents stored indoors or in an attached garage or basement?
- Have you recently remodeled or added new furniture, carpeting or painted?
- Do you use odor-masking chemicals or "air-freshening" devices?
- Has kitchen or food garbage been covered and removed?
- Have you used pesticides recently?
If you have an ongoing air quality issue, call SERVPRO of Lexington for further consultation. We have a staff of professionals, certified in all aspects of deodorization and microbial remediation.
Living in your Home During Water Damage
Any time you experience water damage in your home it can be distressing. Coming home to or waking up and discovering water damage can throw off your entire day. Once the damage is discovered, you begin the process of making phone calls and going through the steps to repair the damage. Often times when water damage occurs the customer has to live in their home throughout the process. In severe cases they may find other temporary arrangements. When we come into your home during your frustrating time, it is our goal to make sure that the process of getting your home back in order is as stress free as possible. We will come in a set up our drying equipment in the affected areas and perform any necessary demolition to wet materials. We always strive to have the home dry and have equipment removed within 4 days. At that point the customer can choose to complete the necessary repairs. In the case that you ever experience water damage, rest assured that we can take of you! Call our office at 859-225-3193.
Mudslides and Flood Damage in Virginia
Our SERVPRO Storm Team has been in Virginia since Tuesday working on the damage that has impacted the Roanoke, Virginia. The flood has caused extensive water damage to a large area in Virginia. The flood is also affecting Maryland and North Carolina as well.
Floods are among the Earth's most common natural disasters. Thunder storms can escalate into a flood. This happens when rivers, lakes or streams overflow. It surges into a floodplain after racing across to adjacent land. Floods take hours and sometimes days to develop. This usually gives residents enough time to evacuate.
In this case, some of the results of the floods are mudslides. Mudslides can fall down their steep pathways and do some serious damage. Since the heavy rains began last week, there have been reports of mudslides running down into highways. This can be extremely dangerous.
The impact of this flood can be extremely severe, so please take caution if in the area.
The Benefits of Cleaning your HVAC/ Ducts
Your HVAC unit has to do with cooling and heating your home. Maintenance for your HVAC system is essential if you want your unit to run correctly for a substantial amount of time. Cleaning your HVAC system also entails duct maintenance as well.
Cleaning the ducts and vents means that they will be cleaning separate elements in the HVAC unit. It is important to clean multiple areas in the unit because it is unknown what lurks in your ducts. So, when turning on the air conditioning unit, those who have allergies may react from the dust, dander, or mold in the unit.
There are many advantages of cleaning your ducts/ HVAC unit. One benefit is having a more efficient system which will result in lower utility bills. Another benefit is having a healthier living environment. Keeping up with the system will also keep up the longevity of the unit, just like a “tune up” with a vehicle would improve its life span.
Your local SERVPRO franchise is offering a HVAC/duct cleaning special. The special is for $450 per unit. If interested in the benefits of keeping up with your HVAC unit, contact your local franchise today.
Summer's Natural Disasters
Every summer, the U.S. goes through an “active weather” season. The middle of spring through summer is a prime time for hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, thunder storms, and fires. Here at SERVPRO, we’ve already begun to see the impact of the severe weather. In Kentucky, we have already experienced a massive amount of rain. Luckily, our SERVPRO team is here for any natural disaster. We respond to water, wind and fire damage! Here are some weather events to look out for during the spring and summer months:
- Hurricanes–Hurricanes, with the accompanying wind, water, and flood, cause a lot of destruction in areas where they hit. When hurricanes gather strength, buildings, trees, and water infrastructures are commonly destroyed. The storms can also knock down power lines, posing a risk of electrocution.
- Tornadoes– Tornadoes are characterized by whirling winds and debris and can endanger life and property. They are common from spring until the middle of summer but can occur any time of the year.
- Floods– Floods are becoming more common in the U.S., with flash floods as the top weather-related killer. A few inches of water could bring extensive damage to homes and buildings. Heavy rains, levee breaches, and tsunamis cause floods. Many floods occur in areas that cannot absorb rainwater.
- Fires– The heat of the summer and the years of drought experienced in many parts of the country can precipitate massive forest fires that, in many instances, affect dwellings. Spontaneous combustion, volcanic eruption, and faulty electrical wires are other common causes of fires.
Call SERVPRO if you are ever in need after a natural disaster!
HVAC/ Duct Cleaning
Since the ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality, inspecting the ductwork should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
A routine part of a SERVPRO Franchise Professional’s service is inspecting the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping the HVAC system and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may save you money.
Unlike the majority of duct cleaning services, your SERVPRO Franchise Professional uses a Portable Ventilation and Air Duct Cleaning System to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This inspection can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
In some circumstances, such as after a fire, smoke or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, your SERVPRO Franchise Professional can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
Do you need Commercial or Residential Demolition?
Here at SERVPRO, no job is too big or too small. We do any water, fire or mold job and whatever else comes along with it. If it requires a little extra work, we are happy to get the job done! Our SERVPRO team offers demolition work if needed to your mitigation or fire job. Many of our customers don’t know that we offer these services.
After demolition is done, we also offer post construction work and final cleaning. Once the floors are down and the drywall is up, it’s time to remove the debris and dirt to lay carpet, paint and decorate. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can provide the debris removal services to prepare the building for interior design.
During the construction phase, a building can trap moisture. Excessive moisture could result in mold growth. If you think one of your projects mat have a moisture issue, rely on SERVPRO Franchise Professionals to provide the help you need eliminating moisture and preventing the potential for mold growth.
Commercial Carpet Cleaning
Our SERVPRO team has other specialties other than just mitigation and restoration. Our team also specializes in cleaning. We can clean pretty much anything. And one thing our team likes to clean is carpets for your commercial businesses!
A dirty carpet isn’t something any business wants to have. It looks unprofessional and unkept. Luckily, our SERVPRO team will come in and clean your carpet. The minimum our team will charge is $109 for 500 square feet.
We take every job seriously and commercial carpet cleaning is one of them! We offer a variety of different carpet cleaning methods.
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning: When color-fastness is an issue.
Call your local franchise to schedule a carpet cleaning for your business today.
Holiday Safety Tips
According to the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA), the leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking. Thanksgiving ranks at the top of the list for home fires involving cooking equipment with three times the average number, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.
But the potential for a kitchen fire doesn't have to turn your next holiday party into a bah-humbug affair. Here are the "ingredients" for a safe holiday:
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking so you can keep a close eye on the food, especially when frying and sautéing with oil.
- When cooking a meal that takes a long time like roasting a turkey or baking a roast, check it frequently. And a timer is your friend. Use one to help remind you there's something cooking. Some people even put timers in different rooms so they can hear it over the music and party chatter.
- Be alert and focused when cooking. It's easy to get distracted when there is a lot of activity around you. To help minimize the risk of injury, if you're sleepy or have had an extra glass of eggnog or two, ask others to take over in the kitchen. Or save that glass of wine to have during dinner or after you've cleared the table and washed dishes.
- Keep things that can catch fire, such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers, and towels away from the cooking area.
- Make sure kids stay at least three feet away from the stove and oven, hot food, and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy, or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Store toys, pocketbooks, and bags in a safe place so you, your guests, and the kids don't trip near the stove and oven, or on a sharp corner of the counter.
- Move matches and utility lighters out of reach of children.
- Secure cords from electric knives, the coffee maker, plate warmer, mixer, and other cooking equipment at the far end of counters so no one accidentally pulls them off the edge.
Our Keeneland tailgate was a success!
Customer Appreciation Party
Last week our SERVPRO team hosted a Customer Appreciation Party at Keeneland on "The Hill". Our SERVPRO team invites anyone who wants to come and enjoy some good food, drinks, or win some door prizes! The party was from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm. But, our guests were more than welcome to stay as late as they wanted.
We decorated each table with golden Mums. All of the tables also had some SERVPRO merchandise that the customers were more than welcome to take with them. The Customer Appreciation Party was catered with wonderful food that included brisket and pork tenderloin!
Along with the perks supplied for the customers, they could meet our new sales representatives! All of our new sales representatives just started this year. They spent time introducing themselves and getting to know as many guests as they could. We hope our customers had a great time and they return to our Derby Customer Appreciation Party in the spring!
Win a $50 Amazon gift card in SERVPRO of Lexington's Giveaway!
Hello everyone! SERVPRO of Lexington is currently running a couple of promotions that give you the chance to win a $50 amazon gift card! We've given away one prize already and we are ready to give away more! There are 2 ways for you to enter.
Go follow us on twitter @SERVPROlexky and retweet the tweet featuring the giveaway information. We will award this prize once our page reaches 200 followers!
For a second chance to win go like us on Facebook at SERVPRO of Lexington, KY, Anderson, Franklin and Scott Counties, and like and share the post featuring the giveaway information. We will award this prize once our page reaches 700 likes! We are very close to giving this one away! Help us reach our goal and you could be a winner!
SERVPRO of Lexington is Offering a Continuing Education Course!
We are offering a FREE CE course credit in Ethics. This will count as 3 hours of Insurance Course Credit.
The course will be held on April 3rd, 2017 at the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Registration is from 8:15 - 9:00 AM and the course of from 9:00 - Noon. Breakfast and lunch will be provided! There will also be a free tour and tasting following the course should you wish to stay.
The premise for this Ethics course is that although we may have solid ethical foundations and usually make rational ethical decisions, ethical lapses are likely to come when we are stressed, angry, upset, worried, or otherwise disengaged.
Each and every day we are faced with decisions that could cause harm to others or ourselves. Facing ethical decisions can be very difficult, especially when we make decisions that may seem correct at first, but we later find out were not so great. As we explore what "Ethics" is, you will be challenged to become involved in hourly group activities. The group activities will help reinforce what has been learned, as well as the ability to better deal with ethical decision making in our own lives.
For reservations please call Larry Carter at 859-537-5377.
We look forward to seeing you!
Your chance to win a $50 dollar Amazon gift card!
Hello everyone! SERVPRO of Lexington is currently running a couple of promotions that give you the chance to win a $50 amazon gift card! There are 2 ways for you to enter.
Go follow us on twitter @SERVPROlexky and retweet the tweet featuring the giveaway information. We will award this prize once our page reaches 100 followers!
For a second chance to win go like us on Facebook at SERVPRO of Lexington, KY, Anderson, Franklin and Scott Counties, and like and share the post featuring the giveaway information. We will award this prize once our page reaches 700 likes!
Feel free to send us a message or call our office at 859-225-3193 with any questions you may have.
Go like, share, follow, and retweet and you could be a winner!
How to avoid frozen pipes this winter
Frozen pipes in your home can cause major damage and unnecessary stress. Pipes that freeze the most frequently are those that are exposed to extreme cold, such as outdoor hose bibs, water sprinkler lines, and water supply pipes in unconditioned areas like basements, crawlspaces, garages, and kitchen cabinets. Pipes that run against exterior walls with little to no insulation are especially susceptible. Before freezing weather sets in, follow these tip and tricks to help prevent frozen pipes in your home.
- Drain water from swimming pools and sprinkler systems for the winter.
- Remove outdoor hoses and allow the hose bib to drain completely. Keep the valve open so that any remaining water in the pipe can expand with no damage.
- Check for home for pipes located in unheated areas. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
- If you live in an especially cold area consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the pipes.
- When the weather is very cold, let cold water trickle through the pipes.
- If you are traveling for a extended period during cold weather, leave your thermostat set a no lower than 55 F.
We hope these tips help you to avoid frozen pipes all together but if you do happen to need our help we are available 24/7. Call our office at 859-225-3193.
Join us at Keeneland for our 7th annual Community Appreciation tailgate!
Join us for our 7th annual Customer Appreciation tailgate!
SERVPRO values our relationship with your company, as a token of our appreciation, come celebrate opening with us at Keeneland!
The event will be held on Friday, October 7th, 2016 from 11am-2pm.
Enjoy free general admission to Keeneland, free food and drinks, and lots of great door prizes.
Our tent will be located at “The Hill” tailgating area next to the Keene Barn.
RSVP by Tuesday, October 4th to RSVPSERVPRO@gmail.com
Contact us if you have any questions!
Larry Carter: 859-537-5377
Lexington Office: 859-225-3193
National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month!
September is recognized as National Preparedness Month (NPM) which serves as a reminder that we all must take action to prepare, now and throughout the year, for the types of emergencies that could affect us where we live, work, and also where we visit. National Preparedness month is sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This year’s theme is “Don't Wait. Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today.” The program emphasizes the importance of having a plan in place for your family should disaster strike. Being prepared when disaster strikes you and your family could mean the difference between life and death. SERVPRO of Lexington Is Ready for Whatever Happens. If you are affected by flooding or fire damage in your home, include SERVPRO of Lexington in your emergency plan to ensure less stress when it comes to getting your life back too normal in the aftermath. We will help you every step of the way and help to make it Like It Never Even Happened.
Stay tuned this month for helpful tips and tricks to include in your family’s emergency plan.
If you have any questions or are in need of assistance call our office at 859-225-3193.
Attention Fayette County residents!
Contact the LFUCG Fire Department today to take advantage of this program!
All Fayette County residents should take advantage of this program! Safety is of the utmost of importance during a fire. Property and possessions can be replaced, lives cannot.
Ever wonder how to pick up those tricky shards of glass when something breaks? All you need is soft molding clay (play-doh)! Roll it into a ball, press it gently against the shards, making for a worry free clean-up!