Important Do's and Don'ts for Clean Water Damage
- Stop the source of the water.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furnishings after removing any contents lying on the surface.
- Be aware of potential electrical hazards. Do not attempt to vacuum up water with standard vacuum equipment.
- Clearly designate wet areas with floor signs and safety tape.
- Pad or block wood furniture to prevent permanent staining of carpet.
- Carefully remove colored items from affected areas, especially those in contact with carpet and upholstery.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for even drying.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Do not attempt to use electrical devices exposed to moisture or use unexposed electrical devices while standing on wet floors- especially wet concrete.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans or light fixtures if ceiling is wet. Avoid standing beneath sagging ceilings.