Recent Mold Remediation Posts
When sump pumps fail at a local university
Last week SERVPRO got a phone call that two sump pumps had failed at a local university. It was in the basement of the building. When the sump pumps failed, the bathroom flooded with water. Shortly after, the elevator shaft was full of water. There was also water that had leaked into multiple rooms of the large university building's basement.
Fortunately, our SERVPRO team was there to save the say. Unfortunately, the damage was done. Water had been standing in several rooms and seeped into the walls long enough to make a severe impact. It only takes mold 48 to 72 hours to begin growth. By the time our SERVPRO team members arrived and could get to the inside of the walls, mold began to grow. Our team members cut all of the wall space out that was affected. They spent multiple days drying the area out. Even though the area had already been affected, it is SERVPRO's job to make it "Like it never even happened."
Natural Disasters and Mold
When Hurricane Harvey hit, our SERVPRO team responded immediately. Our team heard the news of the hurricane and prepared for the worst. With in a few days, our team was on the way to Houston. Most of our team focused on the rebuilding and restoration of residential and commercial businesses. There was so much flooding and water damage in the area, it was difficult to asses what the harm would be from the water damage.
When severe water damage comes into play, mold is likely to surface shortly afterward. Mold can begin to grow 48 to 72 hours after the water hits the exposed area. In the case of Hurricane Harvey, the area in question had the perfect growing environment for mold. This picture was the result of a ton of water on the area affected and massive mold growth. SERVPRO not only helped with the destruction and devastation in Houston, but they stuck around for the aftermath of the aftermath.
Mold in Insulation
About a year ago, a terrible natural disaster hit Houston, Texas. Our SERVPRO team responded and headed down south. After our team responded to calls of storm and water damage, they addressed evidence of mold in multiple locations. Initially, one thinks that a hurricane is going to cause destruction due to heavy winds, rains and flooding. However, the average customer doesn't even think about the mold until the rain water and flooding has done it's damage. Our SERVPRO team responded to several jobs with mold issues after the long hours they put into storm repair.
By this time, our team had been out of state for almost three weeks helping with the aftermath of Harvey. They were going to stay longer if it meant addressing more issues such as mold.
This picture shows water damage in a customer's ceiling, which has insulation. Since insulation has to be removed for the drying process, the SERVPRO team could take the steps needed to address the mold issue. No job is too big or too small for SERVPRO.
Mold in your home
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Lexington for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Lexington specializes in mold cleanup and restoration. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely. If you are in need of mold remediation please call our office at (859)225-3193.
Mold after a Busted Pipe
Have you ever gone on vacation to come return and find mold somewhere in your home? This happened to a local family not too long ago, and SERVPRO was there to help!
A pipe had busted behind the local family's fridge. First, there was water damage on the wall. Then, mold damage occurred later. The first plan of action was to remove the molded materials. Then we set up drying equipment to help dry the areas that were still wet.
Once mold is spotted, it is important to begin the removal process because mold can spread quickly. It tends to be found in damp, warm places, such as, our bathrooms or any type of plumbing area. Unfortunately, some people have a mold allergy which is another reason for a prompt removal.
Luckily, the family that found mold on their arrival home noticed it immediately and SERVPRO was quick to respond. We employ only highly trained professionals that are especially trained in this field.
The Mold after a Storm
A little while ago, SERVPRO of Lexington traveled to another city to repair some storm damage. While storm damage was the main priority, we also had some other issues to address in the area. Unfortunately, when there is storm and water damage, sometimes it causes mold to grow. This is what happened in this instance. Luckily, SERVPRO quickly tackled the part of the ceiling affected by mold. Before too long, our customer was able to get back to business.
A lot of the time, it can be confusing what exactly causes mold. One might question- Why would it arrive on your ceiling in the aftermath of a storm? Well, the most common causes of mold happen when water meets cold surfaces. Mold has tiny spores. These spores begin to reproduce and grow when landing on moist surfaces. Any moisture at all will help the growing process of mold.
However, it is nice to know, if you ever run into a "mold problem" call SERVPRO. We are happy to help!
Here are some things to consider from the American Lung Association about air quality in your home:
- Is anyone smoking indoors? No one should smoke indoors.
- Can you see or smell mold or mildew?
- Is the humidity regularly above 50 percent?
- Are there leaks or standing water anywhere—kitchen, basement, attic?
- Are all fuel-burning appliances (gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces) fully vented to the outdoors?
- Is there an attached garage or basement where cars, lawnmowers or motorcycles are stored?
- Are household chemicals, paints or solvents stored indoors or in an attached garage or basement?
- Have you recently remodeled or added new furniture, carpeting or painted?
- Do you use odor-masking chemicals or "air-freshening" devices?
- Has kitchen or food garbage been covered and removed?
- Have you used pesticides recently?
If you have an ongoing air quality issue, call SERVPRO of Lexington for further consultation. We have a staff of professionals, certified in all aspects of deodorization and microbial remediation.